Lake Malawi Medical Volunteer Project
Medical students, professionals or those interested in pursuing the field of medicine in the future, who would like to assist in improving the standard of primary care and support provided in the rural communities of Malawi.Destination
Mangochi District on Lake MalawiDuration
4 -12 weeksActivities
The project is comprised of a number of community outreach, health care and medical initiatives including: home based care, wound care, HIV/AIDS awareness, rural community hospital, malaria prevention and awareness and nurseries for orphaned and vulnerable children.
Volunteers take part in a wide range of tasks according to which initiatives they are involved in ranging from assisting at or facilitating workshops and awareness talks around malaria and HIV/AIDS, making home visits, bandaging wounds and working in rural hospital departments.
*Volunteer involvement in these initiatives is dependent on the amount of experience and interests held by the volunteer as well as current needs within the community.Download the full project portfolio for more information
Volunteers stay in shared accommodation in a serviced and catered house around 14kms south of Monkey Bay. The house is situated on the southern shores of beautiful Lake Malawi. The area that you will live and volunteer in is safe but the house is also fenced and gated for additional privacy and security.Facilities:
- Large shared bedrooms with bunkbeds & mosquito nets
- Either shared or ensuite toilet & shower room facilities
- Cold running water (as Malawi is hot, a cold shower is usually appreciated!)
- Electricity (although power cuts are not uncommon)
- Communal kitchen & living area
- All bedding and linen included
Three meals per day are provided. Breakfast usually consists of toast, or pancakes and tea/coffee. Lunch will be prepared at the volunteer house where volunteers can help themselves and usually consists of pasta, soups, sandwiches, or similar, or a packed lunch if you are not returning to the house in the middle of the day. A hot dinner will be prepared for you in the evenings.
The cooks do a very good job of catering for you and can accommodate most dietary requirements. However, please be aware that ingredients and supplies can be limited, seasonal or particularly expensive in Malawi, so there is not always a wide variety of food available.
Rates & Dates
Project Fee: 2016 Rates
|4 weeks||£ 925|
|8 weeks||£ 1 525|
|12 weeks||£ 2 099|
Included:- Airport transfer on arrival and departure on set dates (you need to arrange your flights to and from Lilongwe Airport)
- Arrival orientation
- Shared accommodation in volunteer house
- Three meals per day whilst on project (as described under "Accommodation" tab
- 24 hour support from our experienced on-site project co-ordinator
- Emergency contact in UK
Not included:- Airfares and flights
- Travel Insurance & Visas
- Extra activities not included in itinerary
- Personal items
- Email, internet, telephone calls
Project Start Dates:
The Lake Malawi Teaching Project has arrival and departure dates every second week on a Mondays. Project runs throughout the year and is not affected by school holidays.
Project Duration: 4 - 12 weeks
Terms and Conditions of application:- Volunteers must be aged 18+ to take part in the project.
- Volunteers must have a competent level of spoken English
- Volunteers must provide a certificate to prove that a Police Check has been undertaken in their country of residence
- Volunteers must supply payment in full before placement can be confirmed